Sunday, October 25, 2009

Thinning the Carrots

My son LOVES carrots!   So do the other neighbor kids, even though  they turn their noses up at a lot of other things I've got planted.  They ALL like carrots.



But its time to thin the carrots. 

That was one of my mistakes last year.  It's just so hard to pull up those beloved little guys and throw them away.  They're just babies!

But last year, I left them all.  I wanted to give each and every one of them a chance for a good life.  Well, they were all tiny.  Thinner than a pencil.  Some thinner than a pencil lead



So, I learned my lesson.  I thinned a couple patches of my carrots.  But I still just could NOT bring myself to just throw out my little babies.    So, instead, I found a somewhat empty patch of my raised bed garden, and as I pulled them out, I transplanted them into a new row.  Then I watered them really well.  They may not actually make it, but I feel like I've given my babies the best chance I possibly could.

I saved a couple of patches for tomorrow, to see how these make out, before I take the time to save the rest of them.

Say a little prayer for my seedlings.



:-D

No comments:

Post a Comment